Sunday, November 7, 2010

New Hearing Aids

{The first place we went after we got her hearing aids was Chili's for some lunch! She sat in her chair and listened to all the noises! She kept dancing to the music and bobbing her head to the beat! It was awesome :) }

Evie got her 1st set of hearing aids on Thursday, November 4th, 2010 (the day before her 1st birthday)! They are pink and have clear sparkly ear molds.
I'm going to be honest (don't think I'm awful) but I was not excited about this at all! I was only excited for Evie to hear better - hearing aids, not so much! I was nervous! Nervous they would make Evie look 'different', make her look 'weird', put a stamp on her that says, "I'm Deaf!" or "I have a problem". I also worried about her pulling at them, pulling them off, chewing on them, etc!
I tried to research the hearing aids that her audiologist had ordered so the appointment wouldn't be as overwhelming. I've talked to tons of other moms to get info as well. I HATE feeling overwhelmed and unprepared (which were the exact feelings I had when we found out about her hearing loss).
Braden and I took Evie on Thursday to pick up her hearing aids and try them out for the first time. IT WENT GREAT! Evie is still the same ole' Evie! To me, they don't make her look any different at all! It's obvious that they are there, but it's obvious that my Evie is still the same.
When we first turned the hearing aids on, Evie was sitting on her dad's lap. She just sat there and starred. She didn't move an inch or say a word for a good 5 minutes. THEN she started clapping! We loved it :) We went into the hearing booth where they play noises and see what Evie responds to. She responded multiple times at 10db . . . which is a whisper! Our audiologist said that she didn't think she could even get Braden to pass at that! Pretty awesome! I realized that these hearing aids aren't making her different, they are making her the same!
The even greater news is that she keeps them on ALL DAY LONG! She never even messes with them! I think she's enjoying being able to hear! It's been really cool! I sang happy birthday to her after I'd put them in and she bobbed her head as I sang. It was so cute.
I have noticed a lot of uncomfortably long starring eyes. I wish people would just ask instead of stare! It's awkward! BUT it's not like I don't get it - I was/am a starrer too! You can't blame people for wondering, it just makes for some awkward Wal-Mart shopping time. And I'm sure it will get better! Right now it's all I think about, so it's only natural that I would feel like EVERYONE is staring! And they should be, I have the most adorable daughter EVER! :)

Happy Evie = Happy Mom and Dad

(I forgot my camera for the appointment, but we have an awesome audiologist and she let me use hers - she's making me a CD - I'll post them soon)

3 comments:

  1. That is awesome! So happy for her to be able to hear! She is a doll.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so grateful for all the things that we have these days! She is so cute and such a big girl for keeping them on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is cute as ever! I am so glad she is hearing better with her pink sparkly hearing aids:)

    ReplyDelete